Notes from the Manager
Ta-dah! New website, sort of. With some help from my User Experience consultant -- a.k.a. my friend Taylor Regan of UXInvestigations -- I whipped up a new face for the Multiplex site. A lot of it is still more or less the same, but the site is, I think, a lot more streamlined and attractive.
• The header/menu has been fancied up and de-advertised. I'll let you discover the other new thing about it on your own, because I think it's pretty neat.
• I've removed and rearranged a lot of the buttons in the sidebar in order to cut down on Taylor called a "NASCAR effect" on the right side of the page.
• The MySpace and Facebook buttons on the side now link to the Multiplex group for each of those websites, respectively. (If you want to friend me at MySpace or Facebook, you're still welcome to, of course! I just moved those links onto the About page.)
I'm also working with my big brother Lawrence (who has apparently just bought a TV) to add a couple more minor functions to the site in the coming weeks, all aimed at making the website a little cleaner and the comic easier than ever to fall in love with -- and to share with your friends.
Anyway, I hope you dig the new site. Please let me know if you find any bugs or broken links. And, as always, thanks for reading!
How much Multiplex can you handle?!
In addition to the warm, soothing feeling of being a patron of the fine art of comic strippery, Patrons get access to free Multiplex eBooks, sneak previews of upcoming comics and other behind the scenes peeks, sketch giveaways, and more!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, May 21, 2016
So I finished my Master of Fine Arts degree—technically as of March 31, although I’m still working on a couple of assistantships. But I got my diploma in the mail today.
This is one of the weirder things I did in grad school. It was a project I did for a Graphic Design Studio class, and the only stipulation was that you had to make a collection of… something. I chose to do a “collection” of twelve books that shaped who I am as a person. Not necessarily books that I still hold dear, but that really connected with me when I read them.
So, I call it an autobiography, although obviously it’s not. I decided to make a story scroll using clippings from these books, cut and pasted to build a NEW story (a creation story). I made scroll handles for it from wooden dowels (painted bronze) and bronze drawer handles on all four ends.
It was roughly 6¾ feet long if you completely unrolled the scroll, so I’ll only show the first bit here. You can click through to the Patreon page I posted it on a couple of years ago if you want to read the whole thing. I made it public so anyone can see it.
The books are (in no particular order): The Book of Job, translated by Stephen Mitchell; The Illustrated Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking; Cages by Dave McKean; Cat’s Eye by Margaret Atwood; Epileptic by David B; Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman; Hamlet’s Mill by Giorgio de Santillana and Hertha von Dechen; Justice League: A New Beginning by Keith Giffen, J. M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire; Metaphors We Live By by George Lakoff and Mark Johnson; The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan W. Watts; and The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh & The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne. (The Pooh books are technically two separate volumes, so it’s really thirteen, but I now own a single-volume collection of them. I also read Justice League in the issues first, not TPB, so whatever.)
Enjoy! Or just kind of squint your eyes and wonder why this is something that graduate students spend their time doing. But hopefully you’ll enjoy it.
Other Recent Posts
- Multiplex will be back on Monday
- Multiplex: Chapter 13 is now available!
- Multiplex: Chapter 12 is now available!
- The Sessions: Voice Acting in Anime and Video Games
- Multiplex will be back soon. (updated)
- Work on Book Three has begun.
- Multiplex is back (yes, already!)
- Multiplex is on a short hiatus.
- Major NASA Announcement
- Multiplex Movie Review: The Island (2005)