Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #275: Death Race, Part One
Three updates this week, all hand-drawn. See you on Wednesday and Friday.
To draw these pages, I draw and redraw thumbnails until I have a good idea of the basic layout, then create the panel borders in Illustrator. I lightbox the borders onto Bristol drawing paper, then pencil in the panels loosely with dark blue Colerase pencils. I find the light blue/non-photo blue ones too hard to see. I tighten up the pencils where needed with a regular 2H lead (although I suppose I could just use a different Colerase color) before moving on to inking.
I inked this page with a crow quill, because I'm only working at about 8.25" x 10.5" — not much larger than actual size. The bright white spots and the pitch black art show where I've done a bit of digital retouching. For instance, the shadows below the fronts of the karts and most of the checkered pattern on the sides of the karts were added in Photoshop, simply because I forgot to pencil them in the first time around. And the drawing of Kurt in the final panel was composited in from a different page, because I screwed him up the first time.
You can see panels 1–3 from this page over at my Flickr page. I inked those panels with a brush, because the figures were larger. If you compare the scan to the final panel, you'll see that I fixed Franklin's wonky eye digitally. Even when I work "traditionally," I do a lot with a computer.
You can also see a preliminary sketch of Kurt in his kart over at my LiveJournal.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, December 1, 2014
In addition to the Multiplex Book set being 25% off, the individual Multiplex books are now 20% off each — and for you digital comics readers, the PDF eBooks are on sale, as well. Check out the EXTREME SAVINGS at the Multiplex Store today!
I feel like a prostitute every time I write copy like this. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Other Recent Posts
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series