Notes from the Manager
You can read a bit more about the incident this strip addresses over at Movie Make-out ("James Joseph Cialella Jr., folk hero"), if you didn't see it last week. Yes, it actually happened (of course), and — just to nip one line of offense in the bud — no, wanting to help a guy pay for legal fees doesn't mean you're condoning anything he (allegedly) did, up to and including the attempted murder charge — if, in fact, Mr. Cialella was attempting to murder the guy, which I seriously doubt. I'd lay money down that charge gets reduced or dropped.
From the article, it seems as if the gunshot victim was between his family and Cialella, yet Cialella returned to his seat to watch the movie afterwards, which leads me to believe he probably could have easily killed the gunshot victim if he had the inclination to do so — but I'm not a cop or a lawyer, so what do I know?
One thing I do know is how to read, though, and the number of articles that edit out (in my opinion) crucial details in the timeline of the incident, or headlines that are oversimplified to the point of inaccuracy (such as "Phila. man shot because family talked during movie," for instance), disturbs me. No, the two men argued because the family talked during the movie, and the dispute turned physical, after which Cialella allegedly drew his gun. It's not as if they were talking, and he immediately turned around and shot the guy. The scant information we do have from the Philadelphia police makes this perfectly clear.
Anyway, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how this case progresses.
(Thank you for the translation assist, Jackson and Sofía.)
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, November 22, 2014
A short experimental film I made for schoolz. (Mostly) shot in 240 fps slow motion on an iPhone 6. Edited with Final Cut Pro. There are a few shots I’d have liked to redo if I wasn’t under the gun for a deadline (and hadn’t run out of tea), but… oh well.
Other Recent Posts
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer