Notes from the Manager
So… #350, if that sort of thing means anything to you. Me, not so much (I get more excited about the year anniversaries every July 10th), but thank you for reading all the same, everyone.
The movie the boys are watching is Dito Montiel's Fighting, starring Channing Tatum and Terrence Howard.
You can see the trailer over at Apple, if you want, but honestly, though, the trailer doesn't do the movie a lot of justice. From its hip-hop soundtrack to the generic voiceover that spells out the film's ridiculous plot as if it was the slightest bit original, it's simply all wrong for the movie. For a better taste of the film, watch this minute-long clip from one of the best fights in the film (as well as the scene they're watching in the second-to-last panel):
That's not to say the movie is all action; it's not. There are only five or six fights, and only a couple of them last more than a few minutes — but they're good. And even though the cast is mostly just adequate, co-writer and director Dito Montiel infuses Fighting with a swaggering, streetwise sort of charm and a lot of visual style — not to mention a bumping soundtrack filled with funk and soul.
From the second the credits start rolling, you'll realize that Fighting is essentially a modernized, relatively serious take on a blaxploitation film… except, you know, starring Channing Tatum. It's definitely worth a rental or a matinee (perhaps with a drink or two beforehand, to get you through the film's weaker spots).
Anyway, thanks once again to Jackson Ferrell, Brandon J. Carr and Steve Napierski for their guest strips earlier this week and last. Their comics are, of course, now in the Guest Strips page.
See you Friday! Multiplex will return to its usual Monday/Thursday updates next week.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, November 22, 2014
A short experimental film I made for schoolz. (Mostly) shot in 240 fps slow motion on an iPhone 6. Edited with Final Cut Pro. There are a few shots I’d have liked to redo if I wasn’t under the gun for a deadline (and hadn’t run out of tea), but… oh well.
Other Recent Posts
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer