Notes from the Manager
Kurt's comment about Joel Edgerton's character winning is basically straight from my girlfriend's mouth, and she did not see the movie, so it's not a spoiler.
I, however, did see Warrior and won't say whether or not that comment is accurate, but I will say that it was a really good movie — in spite of the inevitability of most of the story's plot points. I even got a little teary in a spot or two, but that's not really unusual when I'm enjoying a movie with well-rounded characters and a modicum of well-executed drama.
Here's the trailer:
Nick Nolte was amazing as Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy's reformed drunk of a father, and the two leads themselves were excellent, as well, as anyone who's seen either of them in other films would expect. Joel Edgerton was, as Jason says, great in the 2010 crime film Animal Kingdom. If you haven't seen it, it's fantastic, and well worth tracking down. Edgerton will also be seen in the upcoming prequel to The Thing. Called The Thing.
The film hasn't done well at the box office, because people seemed to be more interested in Contagion, but if you like boxing movies, you should check it out (not that Warrior is a boxing movie, but it leans heavily on those tropes).
(By the way, I saw Warrior with my friend — and former Boxcar Comics brother — Zach Miller of Joe and Monkey, and you should read his comic.)
Oh, and Jason is wearing a T-shirt sporting the logo for Twitch, one of the best movie news sites on the interwebz (hopefully they don't mind). Kurt's shirt is pretty obvious, I think. Just squint harder if you can't tell what it is; you've seen it before.
Anyway. So what'd you see this weekend, and what'd you think?
Multiplex News & Updates
Bonus comics, drawings, and
other awesome stuff
Saturday, May 27, 2017
Hello, Multiplex readers!
A quick update on what’s going on with everything Multiplex-related:
- The storyboards for the Multiplex 10 animated short are DONE. Rough, but done. Pre-production continues for the next few weeks with the construction/editing/etc. of the first rough animatic and design/illustration work.
- Although the Kickstarter project has ended, you can still support the project (or my comics work) by becoming a Patreon patron or making a one-time PayPal donation.
- Multiplex: The Revenge (Book Three) is being shipped out to Kickstarter backers and will be available for purchase to everyone else on June 14th — as will the Multiplex mini-posters set.
- I will be at Wizard World Philadelphia (Friday–Sunday only) with copies of Book Three, so if you’re in that neck of the woods, you can get it a little early. :)
- Multiplex Movie Reviews like this one, bonus comics from Multiplex: The Best Laid Plans (Book Four), and other stuff are being exclusively posted to Patreon a couple of times a week. Er, except for this one, obviously.
Other Recent Posts
- Come meet me at Wizard World Philadelphia (June 2–4 only)
- Multiplex 10: the animated short is now (officially) in pre-production
- Multiplex 10: the comic book?! (addition to the $20k stretch goal)
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter project ends in THREE DAYS
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter has SIX DAYS TO GO
- Multiplex 10: Good Talk
- Multiplex 10: Hyrule Isn’t Going to Save Itself
- Say hello to Kurt and Jason
- Multiplex Movie Review milestone goal: Jason reviews every Harry Potter movie
- Multiplex Movie Review: Primer (2004)