Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #627: Greenlit
In case you've forgotten who "Sarah" is, she's the new assistant manager, who has only appeared once before.
What Jason's talking about doesn't really apply just to black characters, but all minority characters, and while it's going away… slowly… there are still a ton of examples of it. (Look, I don't make this shit up. I observe.) And, to be fair, to some extent, it mirrors reality. Interracial relationships weren't nearly as common 20-some years ago as they are now, although obviously they happened. I mean, duh… I'm the product of one.
I have to admit, after having Franklin be an equal opportunity player for the last several years, when I decided to have him start dating Tease (secretly, so far), it occurred to me that it could be construed as falling in line in with this trope, which I do notice a lot in fiction and sometimes find a it a bit disconcerting.
But since I didn't create Letizia expressly to date Franklin, I didn't care. The fact is, no matter what I do, some jerk-ass could read whatever imaginary message they want into just about every single strip I do, so why worry about it?
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Sunday, May 3, 2015
This is the final version of the Multiplex animated short I made for my Animation class this semester. No promises, but hopefully this will be the first of many! Thanks (again) to Matt Matonich for providing the voice of Kurt!
Some of you will recognize Jason’s final line as a title of Multiplex #285, so I’m sort of recycling something here, but not really. In any case, Jason and Kurt being in red vests is an indication that these shorts take place outside of current Multiplex continuity.
Other Recent Posts
- Tell me a story. (Looking for a prose writer for an eBook single.) — UPDATED
- Leonard Nimoy (1931–2015)
- Cyber Monday is stupid, but the books are on sale, anyway!
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer