Notes from the Manager
I never got around to having the Blogger come back at the Multiplex 10's Santa last Christmas, but it's supposed to be a recurring thing now.
As for The Day the Earth Stood Still, you can see the trailer over at Apple — and then compare that with the trailer for the original, below:
We discussed the remake on The Triple Feature (episode #103) Monday night, but basically, I thought it was pretty dull. While some critics are simply aghast that they remade the original at all, I don't really think of it as a perfect film. A really enjoyable film, sure, but the idea of a remake doesn't really bother me — unfortunately, this is not a terribly good remake.
If, as with the original, the remake is supposed to be a message movie — not just a showcase for so-so CG special effects sequences — then it's a failure, because this Klaatu (Keanu Reeves) fails to deliver his message to anyone as the original Klaatu does. Sure, he sort of explains what he's doing on Earth to Jennifer Connelly (in the Patricia Benson role, upgraded from a secretary to a scientist), but from the man on the street's perspective, the events in the new version are this: an alien ship landed, fucked some shit up, and then left.
This probably wouldn't have been a big deal if the action were more interesting, if the new Gort had gotten to fuck a bit more shit up, or Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly didn't look twice as bored as I was throughout the entire movie — but alas, such was not the case.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, July 7, 2014
The second trailer for David Fincher’s Gone Girl is pretty damned great:
Gone Girl opens on October 3, 2014.
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3
- Trailer Watch: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes final trailer
- Trailer Watch: Guardians of the Galaxy UK trailer