Notes from the Manager
We have two milestones to celebrate today:
(1) Multiplex has hit #400! I don't make a fuss about these round-number milestones, because I've done so many unnumbered bonus strips that I've really already done more than 400 Multiplex strips, but some of you guys dig them. So hooray.
(2) The Multiplex Kickstarter project has reached the half-way mark! In the build-up to reaching the half-way mark, I announced (via Twitter and Facebook) a little bonus reward thing where anybody who pledged before Thursday (Wednesday night at midnight) was entered into a random drawing to win one of five printed and signed copies of the Multiplex: Chapter 1 comic. (Not to be confused with the Mutliplex: Book 1 collection that the Kickstarter project is funding. The Chapter 1 print comic is basically the first eBook, except on paper.)
I hadn't planned on us actually reaching the half-way mark before Monday, but… well, we did. In just three weeks!
Anyway, so if you pledge ANY amount between now and Thursday, you'll be eligible to win one of five copies. (Note that these aren't yet printed, so they won't get shipped out for a while. They will eventually be available in the Multiplex Store, as well.)
This means, of course, that we have another
$3750 $3700 to raise in about ten weeks. But don't let the pledges die off now! Even if you don't win a copy of the Chapter 1 print comic, there will be more drawings for more free stuff in the future, and any backer will be eligible (unless you've already won something, or you're related to me, or you're a close personal friend of mine whom I think should be ineligible because it wouldn't be fair to my regular readers).
Don't forget, there's are also coupon codes for a free copy of the Chapter 1 HD edition and $2 off any of the T-shirts in the Multiplex Store for all past, present, and future Kickstarter backers, so you've got all sorts of reasons not to hesitate and pledge today!
Other less exciting news is that, alas, there will not be a Triple Feature tonight. Tom's had another hard drive failure and so his computer is basically/entirely out of commission, and I have stitches in my tongue, so I can't talk for extended periods of time very comfortably. Pain killers help. (They do not help me concentrate in order to draw comics, however.)
The stitches, in case you are curious, are from a biopsy. I have a white spot on my tongue that my dentist and doctor wanted to have checked out. There is a 95% chance of it being benign, so let's not make a big deal about it; I'll let you all know what's up when I know what's up. The most annoying part of it is, I also have a cold. So like just when I need to be gorging myself with lots of hot food, that's the last thing I want to put in my mouth. :1 Such is life.
Anyway! There will be three updates this week. (You gotta know what happens to Jason, right?) So, I'll see you on Wednesday!
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Sunday, March 29, 2015
I want to take a foray into electronic publishing.
I am looking for a (prose) writer to provide a short story, novella or non-fiction story that I will turn into an iBooks-formatted eBook for sale (in the iBookstore), released under my Chase Sequence publishing imprint. Chase Sequence published Multiplex: There and Back Again, which won the 2014 IPBA Gold Medal for Best Graphic Novel/Drawn Book–Humor/Cartoon, so technically it is an award-winning publisher.
There is no limitation with regard to genre, but I will say that my taste in prose leans strongly toward literary fiction and non-fiction, and toward characters, psychology, and well-written prose over plot. (Margaret Atwood is my favorite writer.)
What to Submit: A pitch for a 30+ page, prose short story/novella/non-fiction piece. No comics — no picture books. If you have already written the short story, great, but it must be previously unpublished. Please include links or URLs to a resumé and examples of previous published work would be helpful, to give me a feel for your voice.
Send questions (or submissions) to gordon at multiplexcomic.com.
The Terms: No money up front, but 50% of the cover price in exchange for one year of exclusivity (from the date of publication). The writer retains all other rights to their story. These will be sold via iBooks only (at least at first), which means that Apple will get 30% and I will get 20% for my contributions: I will edit the story; I will design and produce the eBook; I will illustrate a cover for it (or hire someone else to, if I’m not the best fit for the story); I will help promote it.
Please submit your pitch before April 30, 2015. I will notify the selected writer(s) I am interested in working with as soon as possible after that.
Other Recent Posts
- Leonard Nimoy (1931–2015)
- Cyber Monday is stupid, but the books are on sale, anyway!
- “Steeping” by Gordon McAlpin
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer