Notes from the Manager
This is the first of… three or four, depending on how I end up breaking apart the next few updates.
Splice, for the uninitiated, is the latest film from Cube writer-director Vincenzo Natali. It's been getting some fantastic reviews — and a mess of scathing ones to balance things out a bit. If you've seen the trailer, you're probably expecting an sci-fi-horror/action-thriller like Species.
But where Species was pretty much a crap action movie, it had one thing going for it — Natasha Henstridge naked (and a lot of it); with Splice, there's very little in the way action (or frights) to speak of — despite the trailers, it's going for more of a thinking-man's sci-fi approach — and that's all well and good if you've got a great script like last year's Moon.
Unfortunately, Splice does not — for reasons I'll get into in the next strip, so I won't lay them out here. It's just another "science is bad" tale, but it's neither smart enough or fun enough to pull off that inherently dodgy premise.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Yes. May 15, 2015.
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3
- Trailer Watch: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes final trailer