Notes from the Manager
This is the first of… three or four, depending on how I end up breaking apart the next few updates.
Splice, for the uninitiated, is the latest film from Cube writer-director Vincenzo Natali. It's been getting some fantastic reviews — and a mess of scathing ones to balance things out a bit. If you've seen the trailer, you're probably expecting an sci-fi-horror/action-thriller like Species.
But where Species was pretty much a crap action movie, it had one thing going for it — Natasha Henstridge naked (and a lot of it); with Splice, there's very little in the way action (or frights) to speak of — despite the trailers, it's going for more of a thinking-man's sci-fi approach — and that's all well and good if you've got a great script like last year's Moon.
Unfortunately, Splice does not — for reasons I'll get into in the next strip, so I won't lay them out here. It's just another "science is bad" tale, but it's neither smart enough or fun enough to pull off that inherently dodgy premise.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Thursday, April 17, 2014
This apparently hit big at Sundance, and who doesn’t like Jean-Ralphio’s sister on Parks & Rec? Okay, maybe a lot of people, but Jenny Slate is fuckin’ funny. Anyway. Obvious Child is an indie comedy-drama about a young potty-mouth comedian (Slate) who finds out she’s pregnant and… just watch this.
Obvious Child was written and directed by Gillian Robespierre. It hits theaters on June 6, 2014. It’s so indie, its official movie site is on Tumblr.
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy
- I’ve been drawing Turtles, I guess. Here’s Leonardo.