Notes from the Manager
This is the first of… three or four, depending on how I end up breaking apart the next few updates.
Splice, for the uninitiated, is the latest film from Cube writer-director Vincenzo Natali. It's been getting some fantastic reviews — and a mess of scathing ones to balance things out a bit. If you've seen the trailer, you're probably expecting an sci-fi-horror/action-thriller like Species.
But where Species was pretty much a crap action movie, it had one thing going for it — Natasha Henstridge naked (and a lot of it); with Splice, there's very little in the way action (or frights) to speak of — despite the trailers, it's going for more of a thinking-man's sci-fi approach — and that's all well and good if you've got a great script like last year's Moon.
Unfortunately, Splice does not — for reasons I'll get into in the next strip, so I won't lay them out here. It's just another "science is bad" tale, but it's neither smart enough or fun enough to pull off that inherently dodgy premise.
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Saturday, November 22, 2014
A short experimental film I made for schoolz. (Mostly) shot in 240 fps slow motion on an iPhone 6. Edited with Final Cut Pro. There are a few shots I’d have liked to redo if I wasn’t under the gun for a deadline (and hadn’t run out of tea), but… oh well.
Other Recent Posts
- Come see me at ComfyCon 2014!
- The Multiplex Store is now powered by Stripe!
- Shut Up Already T-shirt now available! Also, the books are on sale!
- Review: Coherence (2013)
- Multiplex Store shipping rates have been reduced!
- Trailer Watch: The Theory of Everything trailer
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer