Notes from the Manager
Most of you have probably heard of The Illusionist already, but it was nominated — along with How to Train Your Dragon and Toy Story 3 — for a Best Animated Feature Academy Award. I haven't seen it yet (the Blogger's opinions here are based on the "universal acclaim" it has been receiving from other critics).
The film is by Sylvain Chomet (The Triplets of Belleville), based on a script by Jacques Tati, a French filmmaker who had a very singular approach to comedy: it's gentle physical comedy (not exactly "slapstick"), with a heavy dose of social commentary. Many of his films are available on Criterion Collection discs (and via Netflix Streaming), including Playtime, which is widely considered to be his masterpiece. Personally, I would not recommend starting there with his movies; it seemed to me like all of Tati's ideas distilled into one movie.
And yes, for those of you in the Chicago area, it is actually playing at the Music Box Theatre, one of my favorite moviehouses in the city, and one that is long overdue for Jason and Devi to visit… I will definitely be catching it there as soon as possible.
UPDATE: I was interviewed by MTV Geek not that long ago, and it looks like they've posted it. Checkitout!
Join the Conversation
Posting Rules: Do not post comments about typos; e-mail me or use Twitter instead. No spamming, and no trolling. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted, and repeated or egregious offenders may be IP banned — so don’t be a dick. Please.comments powered by Disqus
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, July 7, 2014
The second trailer for David Fincher’s Gone Girl is pretty damned great:
Gone Girl opens on October 3, 2014.
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3
- Trailer Watch: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes final trailer
- Trailer Watch: Guardians of the Galaxy UK trailer