Notes from the Manager
Most of you have probably heard of The Illusionist already, but it was nominated — along with How to Train Your Dragon and Toy Story 3 — for a Best Animated Feature Academy Award. I haven't seen it yet (the Blogger's opinions here are based on the "universal acclaim" it has been receiving from other critics).
The film is by Sylvain Chomet (The Triplets of Belleville), based on a script by Jacques Tati, a French filmmaker who had a very singular approach to comedy: it's gentle physical comedy (not exactly "slapstick"), with a heavy dose of social commentary. Many of his films are available on Criterion Collection discs (and via Netflix Streaming), including Playtime, which is widely considered to be his masterpiece. Personally, I would not recommend starting there with his movies; it seemed to me like all of Tati's ideas distilled into one movie.
And yes, for those of you in the Chicago area, it is actually playing at the Music Box Theatre, one of my favorite moviehouses in the city, and one that is long overdue for Jason and Devi to visit… I will definitely be catching it there as soon as possible.
UPDATE: I was interviewed by MTV Geek not that long ago, and it looks like they've posted it. Checkitout!
Multiplex News & Updates
Bonus comics, drawings, and
other awesome stuff
Saturday, May 27, 2017
Hello, Multiplex readers!
A quick update on what’s going on with everything Multiplex-related:
- The storyboards for the Multiplex 10 animated short are DONE. Rough, but done. Pre-production continues for the next few weeks with the construction/editing/etc. of the first rough animatic and design/illustration work.
- Although the Kickstarter project has ended, you can still support the project (or my comics work) by becoming a Patreon patron or making a one-time PayPal donation.
- Multiplex: The Revenge (Book Three) is being shipped out to Kickstarter backers and will be available for purchase to everyone else on June 14th — as will the Multiplex mini-posters set.
- I will be at Wizard World Philadelphia (Friday–Sunday only) with copies of Book Three, so if you’re in that neck of the woods, you can get it a little early. :)
- Multiplex Movie Reviews like this one, bonus comics from Multiplex: The Best Laid Plans (Book Four), and other stuff are being exclusively posted to Patreon a couple of times a week. Er, except for this one, obviously.
Other Recent Posts
- Come meet me at Wizard World Philadelphia (June 2–4 only)
- Multiplex 10: the animated short is now (officially) in pre-production
- Multiplex 10: the comic book?! (addition to the $20k stretch goal)
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter project ends in THREE DAYS
- The Multiplex 10 Kickstarter has SIX DAYS TO GO
- Multiplex 10: Good Talk
- Multiplex 10: Hyrule Isn’t Going to Save Itself
- Say hello to Kurt and Jason
- Multiplex Movie Review milestone goal: Jason reviews every Harry Potter movie
- Multiplex Movie Review: Primer (2004)