Notes from the Manager
You've probably heard about this by now, but less than a month after Netflix announced it's (stupid) idea to split Netflix into two separate websites (and divisions), with "Qwikster" as the umbrella for its DVD offerings, they've backpedaled.
And, like before, they announced it in a blog post. Brilliant. While there's some merit to realizing when you've made a bad decision, the split was never a good idea and all three of these major announcements has been handled incredibly poorly. (Trying to pass off the price hike as a good thing was pretty insulting, I thought.) This whole thing is a PR nightmare that just won't end for them, and Reed Hastings is basically making himself look like a fucking idiot. It's pretty likely he's going to idiot himself out of a job soon, too, if their board of directors has been paying attention to the stock price…
Now, I'm a die-hard movie geek, and I think their streaming offerings and DVD offerings are still worth the higher price, so I'm still with them, but my faith in the company is pretty damned low at this point. (Full disclosure: I canceled my disc service when they announced the split and then reinstated it after they backpedaled.)
How about you? Are you still with Netflix, or have you abandoned ship already — after the price hike or the Qwikster announcement, or after this…?
UNRELATED NOTE: The comments section no longer requires a login — but I will be moderating with an iron fist, just as before. No douchebaggery allowed.
Join the Conversation
Posting Rules: Do not post comments about typos; e-mail me or use Twitter instead. No spamming, and no trolling. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted, and repeated or egregious offenders may be IP banned — so don’t be a dick. Please.comments powered by Disqus
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Joe was stuck in traffic, so Tom Brazelton and I handled it like Captain America and Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier! We also talked about the French supernatural drama The Returned and the all-new Ms. Marvel.
Also, I messed up and forgot to hide the little icons so you can see me when I don’t think you can see me. SUPER PROFESSIONAL PODCASTING SKILLS.
Download: MP3 (36mb)
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Jenny Slate in Obvious Child
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy