Notes from the Manager
Related Strips: #790: The Future Is Ours, Part Five
Hopefully you know who Sid Grauman is, but if you don’t, he built LA’s Million Dollar Theatre, Grauman’s Egyptian Theatre, and Grauman’s Chinese Theater (recently renamed the TCL Chinese Theatre for stupid reasons) and received an honorary Oscar in 1949 for “raising the standard for film exhibition.” (That was a little more self-congratulatory than most Academy Awards, since he was one of the 36 co-founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, as well. Anyway. He was a bigwig in movie theater exhibition. Joke = explained/killed.
An earlier version of that line referred to “Quentin Fucking Tarantino,” but I thought more of you would have heard of Sid Grauman than would know that Tarantino owns the New Beverly Cinema. (Also, it would imply that Tarantino is more involved than he probably is.)
Join the Conversation
Posting Rules: Do not post comments about typos; e-mail me or use Twitter instead. No spamming, and no trolling. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted, and repeated or egregious offenders may be IP banned — so don’t be a dick. Please.comments powered by Disqus
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Thursday, April 17, 2014
This apparently hit big at Sundance, and who doesn’t like Jean-Ralphio’s sister on Parks & Rec? Okay, maybe a lot of people, but Jenny Slate is fuckin’ funny. Anyway. Obvious Child is an indie comedy-drama about a young potty-mouth comedian (Slate) who finds out she’s pregnant and… just watch this.
Obvious Child was written and directed by Gillian Robespierre. It hits theaters on June 6, 2014. It’s so indie, its official movie site is on Tumblr.
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: The Rover theatrical trailer
- Trailer Watch: X-Men: Days of Future Past final trailer
- Trailer Watch: David Fincher’s Gone Girl
- Trailer Watch: Guy Pearce in The Rover
- Trailer Watch: 22 Jump Street red band trailer
- Trailer Watch: How to Train Your Dragon 2 official trailer #3
- Spoiler Zone: Captain America: The Winter Soldier talkback
- Trailer Watch: Godzilla extended look
- Trailer Watch: ScarJo stars in Limitless 2: The Matrix — I mean, Lucy
- I’ve been drawing Turtles, I guess. Here’s Leonardo.