Notes from the Manager
I’m being purposefully vague about the numbers here, because the reality is a little more complicated than even my wordiest strips could possibly cover. Roger Ebert explains it in pretty general terms here, but the gist of it is, the lion’s share of the ticket price goes to the film distributor for new releases. Over time, that percentage gets bigger, but of course, attendance for most films is pretty front-loaded.
That’s why candy, popcorn, and soda cost so damned much at movie theaters: it’s where they make their profit. So the point Jason is making here is that rather than show a movie they know will sell, maybe, ten tickets, they spend a few hundred extra on renting an old film print (or “virtual print”) that hopefully a hundred people or so will want to see, making a small profit (or more likely breaking even) on the film rental, but adding to the concessions sales in the process. (It’s worth noting that the general manager of a theater — i.e. Norma — also gets bonuses based on concessions sales.)
Anyway. See you Monday!
Join the Conversation
Posting Rules: Do not post comments about typos; e-mail me or use Twitter instead. No spamming, and no trolling. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted, and repeated or egregious offenders may be IP banned — so don’t be a dick. Please.comments powered by Disqus
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- A free eBook every month (or so)!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Monday, July 7, 2014
The second trailer for David Fincher’s Gone Girl is pretty damned great:
Gone Girl opens on October 3, 2014.
Join the Conversation
Other Recent Posts
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3
- Trailer Watch: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes final trailer
- Trailer Watch: Guardians of the Galaxy UK trailer