Notes from the Manager
I’m being purposefully vague about the numbers here, because the reality is a little more complicated than even my wordiest strips could possibly cover. Roger Ebert explains it in pretty general terms here, but the gist of it is, the lion’s share of the ticket price goes to the film distributor for new releases. Over time, that percentage gets bigger, but of course, attendance for most films is pretty front-loaded.
That’s why candy, popcorn, and soda cost so damned much at movie theaters: it’s where they make their profit. So the point Jason is making here is that rather than show a movie they know will sell, maybe, ten tickets, they spend a few hundred extra on renting an old film print (or “virtual print”) that hopefully a hundred people or so will want to see, making a small profit (or more likely breaking even) on the film rental, but adding to the concessions sales in the process. (It’s worth noting that the general manager of a theater — i.e. Norma — also gets bonuses based on concessions sales.)
Anyway. See you Monday!
Become a Multiplex patron
Patron rewards include:
- Free eBooks!
- Multiplex Movie Reviews and other bonus comics
- Character doodles!
- Invites to Google Hangouts!
- Sneak peeks at early and in-progress strips and artwork!
- and MORE!
Deleted Scenes Blog
Bonus comics, drawings,
movie trailers and more
Friday, August 15, 2014
There’s no telling how the film will turn out, but the trailer for The Theory of Everything impressed me by having a respectably balanced focus on both the life of Stephen Hawking (and relationship with his first wife) and the work he is so admired for, unlike so many other film biographies of so-called Great Men.
James Marsh (Man on Wire) directs Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones in the November 7th release.
Other Recent Posts
- Trailer Watch: Mad Max: Fury Road Comic-Con First Look trailer
- Trailer Watch: Gone Girl trailer #2
- Somerville Theatre Midnight Specials film series
- Trailer Watch: Studio Ghibli’s When Marnie Was There teaser trailer
- Trailer Watch: Bill Murray in St. Vincent
- Multiplex is now in Comic Chameleon!
- “Duet” by Glen Keane
- “The Gunfighter” by Eric Kissack and Kevin Tenglin
- Turtle Power (and other things)
- Trailer Watch: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trailer #3